Whether we are at home or work, hard water conditions are something we all battle in the Boise, Treasure Valley & many areas throughout Idaho.
Before we look at the fatal problems of hard water, we’ll quickly answer 2 questions people ask us every week. They are: “What is hard water?” and “Where is the hardest water in the Treasure Valley?”
What is Hard Water?
Hard water is Calcium and Magnesium within the water supply. You will notice the effects on anything hard water comes in contact with, it leaves behind a lime scale build-up. Water hardness is classified as Grains Per Gallon (GPG) on the Water Hardness Scale:
1-3 GPG (lower end of the hardness scale)
4-7 GPG (Middle of hardness scale),
8-11+GPG (high end of hardness scale)
Where is the Hardest Water in The Treasure Valley Area?
As you travel around the Treasure Valley, water hardness levels range from 6-15 GPG. Eagle water rates the lowest at 6-9 GPG… still high. The Boise area, Meridian & Nampa areas rate at the high end… 8-15 GPG!
5 Fatal Problems with Hard Water
1. Scale build-up inside your pipes. Hard water causes a build-up of scale from mineral deposits. Over time, pipes clog, water flow diminishes, and water pressure is reduced.
2. Scale build-up inside water heater. Water heater life dramatically drops. Heating elements burn out prematurely. A 1/8” of scale build-up at the base of a water heater causes 30% more energy needed to heat water, meaning longer recovery rates and cold showers!
3. Scale build-up on plumbing fixtures and shower doors. You will notice when hard water adheres to your shower doors or fixtures it leaves the scale behind. In most cases the scale build up causes permanent damage and is nearly impossible to completely remove. Note: Houses with scale prevention systems in place have a higher resale value and homeowners spend no time scraping scale from these surfaces.
4. Soap usage increases with hardness levels. Soaps do not lather or rinse well. There is a big difference in this area with soft water. Soft water uses less soap–whether it’s dish detergent, shampoo, or laundry soap. Soft water creates better washing power so you can use less soap and get superior results. Soft water allows a use of 1/2 to 2/3 LESS soap with the same or even better results. Plus, the soap rinses completely from your skin, clothes & household surfaces.
5. Water using household appliances are damaged with hard water. Life is reduced and performance decreased due to minereal deposits building up within. With soft water, appliances will last longer. Whether it’s your coffee pot, your humidifier, hot tub, or ice-maker, soft water inhibits a build-up of minerals and adds life to these products.
Hard water costs thousands of dollars in damage to our homes & appliances but can be stopped very cost effectively with a good water softener.
Water softeners have come a long way in recent years. New technology even allows us to soften water and stop scale build up without using salt!
There are so many claims & water softener products out there… which one do you choose?
We’ve compiled water softener facts, comparisons & reviews here.
Idaho Water Solutions is currently having a salt or salt free water softener bonus sale and specializes in getting you the best system for you at the best price!
Check out the water softeners we recommend and an incredible bonus you won’t want to miss… all at a price that beats comparable systems hands down!
Simply go here: This Months IWS Water Softener Bonus Sale!